Life, Random Thoughts and a Fair Amount of Hockey

Monday, April 14, 2003

Ahh...goalies

Geez it’s late for me to be up... It's my favorite time of year..the weather's warming up, and most importantly it's playoff time! That's right, it's the time of year where sixteen teams try to beat the tar outta each other for the chance to raise Lord Stanley's Cup...does it get any better? And while we're on the subject, I have a bone to pick with the NHL brass. Well, several bones, actually, but this is a big fat juicy one. It’s called Rule 70, Note 3 and it goes like this..."A goalkeeper is not "fair game" just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact."This was fine and dandy back in the day when the goalies were all stay-at-home types, but then, this ain’t your father’s NHL. As more and more goalies become wandering Jew types, this rule gets more and more unfair. Last night I watched Marty Turco make a play with the puck way the heck out by the faceoff circle, and when he was hit by an Edmonton player, it was called goalie interference. Now, we all know I’m Turco’s number one fan (and to those of you that thought he couldn’t hack it, might I point to the 1.72 GAA and say I TOLD YOU SO!) but if he’s gonna play out there, he should be “fair game” Yeesh. I wish I lived in Canada where they appreciate the sport... And while we’re talking about goalies...wait, I’ll be here all night. Another time, yes? I had to take Brandon to the doctor today. I thought he had another ear infection, but it turns out it’s strep this time. So I have to miss work tomorrow too. So, let’s see, that’s half a day Thursday, all of Friday, Monday, and now tomorrow...geez I’m gonna be poor...and I still have all these cookies to make too. Why anyone would pay six dollars a dozen for cookies is beyond me, but I guess as long as I’m making my money it’s ok... I really do need to go...the Detroit game is on and Jean-Sebastion Gigure is making more of his spectacular saves...he’s something else, isn’t he? Anaheim is winning again and oh how I’ll gloat if Detroit bows out in the first round...Hullie, you know I still love you, but I love to hate Detroit even more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home