Life, Random Thoughts and a Fair Amount of Hockey

Friday, March 25, 2005

We moved into out house two days before Christmas in 2001. Which means that I've owned my current stove for a little less than three and a half years. And in that time, I've discovered that I'm completely incapable of using the back burners. I don't know why; I just always turn on the front one when I try to use them. On the plus side. this means that I've gotten very very good at burning foreign substances off the front burners without setting off the smoke alarms....but it also means that I go through plasticware like you wouldn't believe...

I've discovered several interesting things about the Gaelic language; most notably, they don't use dipthongs because they're smarter than us. I believe dipthongs are the hardest thing to learn in the English language...words should sound like they're spelled. Also, they refer to their vowels as broad(a, o, and u) or slender (i and e) and broad and slender vowels get paired together-broad with broad and slender with slender. And, h isn't a letter, it's a tool, which is why there's so many h's when you try to decipher Gaelic words. You don't pronounce them, it changes the sound of the letter before it. There's a lot of extra letters because it was never meant to be written with the Western alphabet . Isn't learning fun?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home